Thursday, October 6, 2016

Evening Prayer Readings Thursday after Trinity 19

The Psalter

Psalm 116

The One Hundred Sixteenth Psalm
Dilexi, quoniam.

MY delight is in the LORD; * because he hath heard the voice of my prayer;

Because he hath inclined his ear unto me; * therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

The snares of death compassed me round about, * and the pains of hell gat hold upon me.

I found trouble and heaviness; then called I upon the Name of the LORD; * O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; * yea, our God is merciful.

The LORD preserveth the simple: * I was in misery, and he helped me.

Turn again then unto thy rest, O my soul; * for the LORD hath rewarded thee.

And why? thou hast delivered my soul from death, * mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

I will walk before the LORD * in the land of the living.

I believed, and therefore will I speak; but I was sore troubled: * I said in my haste, All men are liars.

What reward shall I give unto the LORD * for all the benefits that he hath done unto me?

I will receive the cup of salvation, * and call upon the Name of the LORD.

I will pay my vows now in the presence of all his people: * right dear in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Behold, O LORD, how that I am thy servant; * I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid; thou hast broken my bonds in sunder.

I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, * and will call upon the Name of the LORD.

I will pay my vows unto the LORD, in the sight of all his people, * in the courts of the LORD'S house; even in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise the LORD.



The First Lesson

Job 38:31-38

Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee? Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are? Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart? Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven, When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together?



The Second Lesson

St. Matthew 18:1-14

At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.



Collect and Prayers

ALMIGHTY God, the fountain of all wisdom, who knowest our necessities before we ask, and our ignorance in asking; We beseech thee to have compassion upon our infirmities; and those things which for our unworthiness we dare not, and for our blindness we cannot ask, vouchsafe to give us, for the worthiness of thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Nineteenth Sunday after Trinity

O GOD, forasmuch as without thee we are not able to please thee; Mercifully grant that thy Holy Spirit may in all things direct and rule our hearts; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Bruno of Cologne - 6 October - Monastic and Confessor

O ALMIGHTY God, who hast called us to faith in thee, and hast compassed us about with so great a cloud of witnesses; Grant that we, encouraged by the good examples of thy Saints, and especially of thy servant Bruno, may persevere in running the race that is set before us, until at length, through thy mercy, we with them attain to thine eternal joy; through him who is the author and finisher of our faith, thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


William Tyndale - 6 October - Priest, and Translator

ACCEPT, O Lord, our thanksgiving this day for thy servant William Tyndale; and grant unto us in like manner such constancy and zeal in thy service, that we may obtain with him and thy servants everywhere a good confession and the crown of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Thursday Evening Prayer

Gracious and most merciful God, eternal Father, what heartfelt love and fatherly care Thou hast for me, a poor sinner, in that Thou hast so graciously preserved me all the days and hours of my life, from my earliest youth to the present time, against all the wiles of the devil, and the danger and harm of the wicked world; and I humbly pray Thee, that, according to Thy paternal love toward me, Thou wouldst to all eternity not remember against me what I have done against Thee this day, but mercifully forgive it, and be gracious unto me for the sake of Thy dear Son, Jesus Christ, who became the Surety for all my sins, and keep me and all who are near and dear to me safe this night from sudden death, from danger by fire and water, pestilence and all harm. I therefore commend myself, my body and soul and everything that I have to Thy fatherly protection; may Thy holy angel be with me, that, I may fear no danger. Amen.

No comments: